Greetings and Introductions For Formal and Informal Situations

ilustration

The topic is divided into two groups: formal and informal situations.

A. Introduce myself

1. Informal situation
Just say Hi, or Hello, or My name is and give your name.
For example:
• hi, I am Nirwan
• Hello, my name is …
• Hi, Nirwan, and you?

2. Formal situation 
Formal situation is little longer than informal situation, let us listen some examples.
• May I introduce myself, my name is Nirwan
• Hello, I don’t think we’ve met, my name is …
• Good morning/ good afternoon/ good evening, allow me to introduce myself, my name is …

B. Introduce someone else

1. Informal Situation
• Dimas, this my friend, Maria.
• This is my classmate, Tia
• She  is my friend, Maria (while pointing the friend)
• This is my friend from my village, Maria.

2. Formal Situation 
• May I introduce my assistant, Dewi.
• Allow me to introduce my colleague, Arif Maulana.
• Allow me to introduce our speakers today, first speaker is Mr Nurdin, Second speaker is Mr Maskur and the third or last is Mrs. Cut Nyak Dhien.
• I would like you to meet my boss/ classmate/ partner etc.

Okay, let have a look at what to say after introduction.

1. Informal situation
• Hi, Nirwan, nice to meet you. (respond) Nice to meet you too.
Or we can use another expression, such as: happy, lovely.
• Hello Nirwan, I am happy to meet you, (respond) lovely to meet you too.

2. Formal situation 
• How do you do … (respond) how do you do … (formal synonym of formal situation).
• It’s a pleasure to meet you, Dimas. (respond) I am very pleased to meet you too.


How to greet someone you know.

1. Informal situation
• Hi Dimas, how are you? fine, thanks, and you?
• Hello Dimas, how are you doing? great, thanks, how about you?

2. Formal situation
• Good afternoon Miss Maria, how are you today? I am very well, thank you, and you?
• Hello Miss Maria, its nice to see you again, its nice to see you again too (but we have a special words to return the complement, so we can just say) ‘and you’.

How to say goodbye

1.Informal situation
• I must go. Catch you later  Okay, see you later, bye/ speak to you later, …
• I will be off now. Speak to you later  sure, take care.
• Sorry I have to go, see u ASAP  that is fine, okay see then

2.Formal situation
• Goodbye, it has been a pleasure meeting you  the pleasure is mine. I hope to see you again soon.
• I must be on my way. It was nice to see you again  likewise; I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Practice I:  Conversation (informal)

Dimas : Hello. I am Dimas
Maria : Hi Dimas, My name is Maria
Dimas : Nice to meet you, Maria
Maria : Nice to meet you, too
Dimas : Owh.. this is my friend Arman.
Maria : Nice to see you, Arman.
Arman : Me too
Maria : How are you doing?
Arman : I am fresh
Maria : Oh, I must go now, speak to you later guys.
Dimas : Ok, See you later.

Practice II:  Conversation (formal)

Dimas : Good morning, I don’t think we’ve met. Let me introduce myself. My name is Dimas Setiawan
Maria : How do you do. My name is Maria Sukma
Dimas : how do you do, Miss Maria. Allow me to introduce my classmate, Arman
Maria : well, actually we have already met. Hello miss Rose, how are you?
Arman : Very well, thank you. It’s nice to see you again.
Maria : and you
Dimas : well, we must be on our way. It has been a pleasure meeting you here, Miss Maria. I hope to see you again soon.
Maria : Likewise, I look forward to seeing you both.

Practice III:  Conversation (formal)

Maria : Aren’t you Dimas from Fajar Harapan School?
Dimas : Yes, that’s right
Maria : I believe we met at Debate Competition in Jakarta last year. I am Maria
Dimas : Oh yes, I remember. How have you been?
Maria : Just fine. And you?
Dimas :  very well.



Reactions

Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, this material is very useful because it can determine how the situation for the introduction

    ReplyDelete

Close Menu